1. Each entry in the competition shall compete in the General Class but may also be nominated by its owner for one other class.
2. Any member may submit more than one entry.
3. Entries in all classes shall consist of twelve sheets, not exceeding 10” x 12”.
4. Entries may be on any subject to do with philately.
5. All material in the entry must be the sole property of, and be mounted and written up by, the competitor.
6. Marks will be awarded as follows:
a Writing-up and attractiveness of presentation up to 40%
b Relative condition up to 30%
c Philatelic knowledge (or knowledge of the subject for the Thematic Class) up to 25%
d Judge’s discretion up to 5%
7. Cups will be awarded as follows:
The best overall entry shall be awarded the Sloan Cup.
The best thematic entry shall be awarded the Beach Cup.
The best postal history or aerophilately entry shall be awarded the Patrick Cup.
The best traditional stamps only entry shall be awarded the Ewart Sanders Cup.
The best postal stationery entry shall be awarded the Les Child Tankard.
The best open or social philately entry shall be awarded the Downing Tankard.
The best entry from a member who has not previously won any of the Society’s awards shall earn a certificate of merit.
Trophies will be awarded in the order given above, so that if an entry wins the Sloan Cup it is not eligible to win the Beach, Patrick, or Ewart
Sanders Cups or the Les Child Tankard, and the winner of any of these may not receive a certificate of merit.
8. All trophies are the property of the Society and are awarded for the period until the next competition.
The society holds a yearly philatelic competition for members. See the Programme page for the date of this years competition.
The winners for the 2018-2019 season were as follows:
Sloan Cup (best overall entry) Michael Round for The French Territory of the Afars and Issas.
Beach Cup (best thematic entry) Russell Hill for Butlins Skegness - Where Dreams Come True.
Patrick Cup (best postal history or aerophilatelic entry) Barbara Priddy for GB, BWA and the Air Afrique-Sabena Transsaharan Airmail Service 1935-1936.
Ewart Sanders Cup (best traditional stamps-only entry) Russell Hill for The Penny Black Plates..
Les Child Trophy (best postal stationery entry) John Davies for Italian Postal Stationery 1874-1889..
The Ray Downing Tankard (best open-class or social philately entry) No Entries.